index list

full window

close window


See also:

The young years

in Drelów


Martyr's death in the concentration camp

Father Ceptowski's

To save from

To save from being forgotten

Mogiła z prochami pomordowanych w obozach koncentracyjnych - cmentarz grzebalny w DrelowieThe first anniversary of the end of World War II was celebrated in Drelów with an event, which became part of the region’s history. Feliksa Patkowska (wife of Antoni), Józef Huk of Pereszczówka and Anna and Bronisław Karwaccy of Łózki formed a Committee for the construction of a monument–memorial at the Drelów cemetery. The committee also wanted to bring the symbolic ashes of those that fought for the independence of Poland and were killed in German prisons and concentration camps between 1939 and 1944.
Feliksa Patkowska and Anna Karwacka went to the Museum in Oświęcim (Auschwitz); they brought an urn with the ashes of the dead. Jan Daniluk brought them in his cart from the railway station in Międzyrzec Podlaski to Drelów.

Tablica upamiętniająca ks. Karola Wajszczuka - umieszczona na mogileOn the boundary of the village, by the cemetery, a ceremony of “welcoming the ashes” was conducted. Father Aleksander Kot with a procession, representatives of the local authorities all took part in the ceremony, as well as schoolchildren with their principal, Józef Olszański. After a few words of welcome, he read out the roll of the dead. The gathered people wept. The sirens sounded and the church bells rang as a sign of mourning. The urn was brought into the church and placed in a small coffin on a catafalque. Father Al. Kot celebrated mass and the ashes were taken to the cemetery, where a funeral was conducted. Temporarily, the urn was laid in the Karwacki family grave. In early September 1946, when the monument was already finished, the urn was moved to its final place of rest.
Thus, the symbolic ashes of father Karol Wajszczuk were laid at the Drelów cemetery, close to the people with whom he had once lived, worked and suffered.

Tablica upamiętniająca ks. Karola Leonarda Wajszczuka - w kościele parafialnym w DrelowieOn the 4th of May 1997, a plaque in honour of father Karol Wajszczuk, a priest and a martyr, was placed in the Drelów church, which had been a silent witness of the martyrdom of the Uniates. This event was part of the celebration of 500 years of Drelów. This shows that, in spite of the fact that over fifty years that have passed, the parish folk still remember and care for their parish priest. 

Poświęcenie odbudowanego w 1999 r. pomnika żołnierzy POW - Łózki 10 listopada 1999 r.On the 10th of November 1999, a memorial to the members of the POW killed in the war was unveiled in Łózki near Drelów. The inscription included the name of a long time chaplain of the POW, a martyr of Dachau – father Karol Wajszczuk. The memorial was unveiled by the son of Marek Stańczuk – Stanisław, the vice-president of the Polish Sejm – Franciszek Stefaniuk, the head of the Bialski District - Tadeusz Łazowski and the head of the Drelów Community – Adam Szulik. The Drelów parish priest, father Roman Wiszniewski, consecrated the memorial. Soldiers of the military unit no. 1861 in Bezwola also took part in the ceremony.

Uroczyste odsłonięcie pomnika POW przez ks. Karola Wajszczuka - Łózki 8 listopada 1936 r.The story of the POW memorial in Łózki was begun in the pre-war period. At that time, father Karol Leonard Wajszczuk, a chaplain of the POW and the parish priest of Drelów, initiated the construction of a monument in the memory of three members of the POW, who had been killed in 1918: Wacław Wawdysz, Marek Stańczuk and Józef Zahajkiewicz. On the 8th of November 1936, the memorial was unveiled with the participation of guests and many schoolchildren. The Polish Military Organisation (POW) begun its activity once again after the outbreak of the Second World War, this time under the name of “Nasze Orły” (“Our Eagles”). The fate of this organisation’s members was tragic. In 1940, father Karol Wajszczuk was arrested, taken to the prison at the Lublin castle, then to the concentration camp in Sachsenhausen and, finally, to Dachau, where he died a martyr’s death in a gas chamber. The fate of the other members was similar. The memorial was deconstructed by the Germans. In 1999, a committee for the reconstruction of the POW memorial was formed. It was headed by Czesław Małoszuk of Łózki. The reconstruction was finished in November 1999. The names of Drelów parish priests, father Karol Wajszczuk and father Leon Gliszczyński, were added to the original inscription from 1936 memorial.


Written by: dr. Feliks Olesiejuk 
"Wspomnienie o księdzu  Karolu Leonardzie Wajszczuku 1887-1942"

in Rocznik Międzyrzecki - Towarzystwo Przyjaciół Nauk 
w Międzyrzecu Podlaskim -  1987
Excerpts prepared by: Paweł Stefaniuk, assisted by Waldemar J. Wajszczuk
Translated by: Kamila Wajszczuk